Quick and hassle-free, this dish is a real crowd pleaser and perfect for when entertaining friends and family. Just get the Jollof Rice simmering on the hob and your chicken roasting in the oven while you throw together a colourful salad and voilà, you are good to go!
The recipe below feeds 4-5 people but quantities can easily be doubled or tripled.
1 Jar of Jollof sauce
400g Long grain/easy cook rice
1 Teaspoon of your favourite curry blend
1 Small chopped onion
1 - 2 Cups water/chicken/veg stock
1kg Organic chicken pieces
2 Tablespoons Jerk seasoning or your favourite chicken seasoning
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Don’t forget to include ingredients for your favourite salad
- Measure and wash the rice and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a medium sized pot and fry the chopped onion until soft. Add in the curry blend and stir for a minute.
- Next, add the Jollof Sauce and gently simmer for 2-5 minutes. Mix in the washed rice and slowly pour in the stock or water. You will need to cover the rice by about 2cm of liquid.
- Cover the saucepan with aluminium foil followed by the lid. Bring the rice to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to cook for about 15 minutes. You will need to mix the rice and sauce using a fork half way through.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Make a marinade by mixing into a thin paste the Jerk seasoning and remaining oil. Rub this all over the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a lined oven tray and bake for 15 minutes; lower the heat to 180 degrees Celsius allowing the chicken to slowly cook through.
- Check the rice. If it’s soft and fluffy, switch off the heat and set aside.
- Next, prep your favourite salad.
- Once the chicken is ready, leave it to rest for 5-8 minutes (allowing the juices to redistribute), then serve on a platter with the Jollof Rice and a side of salad.
*Tip - Mix in the chicken oil and juices from the roasting tin into your cooked Jollof Rice for an amazing depth of flavour!