This quick and dead easy, dish-for-two is just the thing when you’re energy reserves are running low.
Shop bought smoked mackerel works well in this dish; plus it's cheap and tasty. If you have more time and are happy to pluck out bones, whole smoked mackerel available from African food shops is another option.
I have chosen to go with soft yam for this dish because it’s yummy and boils within 15 minutes. This is another ingredient widely available in African food shops and from some of the bigger supermarkets as well.
This recipe serves 2 people.
1 jar of Egusi sauce
2 Tablespoons unrefined red palm oil (or any cooking oil)
1 Small onion, chopped finely
1 Teaspoon curry blend or favourite all purpose seasoning
300g Smoked mackerel
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Small soft yam or half a big one
Leafy or rocket salad with your dressing of preference
- Peel, wash and boil the yam in a large pot with one tablespoon of salt and sugar respectively for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until just soft. Add the curry and fry for another minute.
- Add the Egusi Sauce and leave to simmer for 4-5 minutes before adding in the smoked mackerel.
- Leave to simmer on a low heat.
- Drain the yam in a colander and set aside.
- This part is optional. In a large pan heat 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil and add 1 teaspoon of curry or favourite all purpose seasoning. Fry for a few seconds then add the boiled yam and toss it around to coat it with the spiced oil. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serve yam with the mackerel stew and a side of green salad.