This recipes makes a quick and easy lunch dish; perfect for when you’re low on energy but craving a tasty treat.
It serves 2-3 people.
1 Jar of Egusi stew sauce
4 Large ripe yellow plantain
350g Frozen or fresh spinach
160g - 200g Canned tuna or fresh tuna cut into chunks
1 Small chopped onion
2 Tablespoons palm oil/cooking oil
1 Teaspoon smoked paprika/curry blend
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse the unpeeled plantains thoroughly. Add to a large pot with enough water to cover. Boil the plantains for 15-20 minutes or until their peels begin pulling away from the flesh.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a sauce pan. Add the onions and fry until soft.
- Mix in the smoked paprika or curry blend and fry for a minute.
- Add to the mix the Egusi Stew Sauce. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes before combining in the spinach. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the liquid from the tuna can before adding the tuna chunks to the spinach sauce. Mix thoroughly and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper and serve with the boiled peeled plantain.
Tip* - You can leave the tuna out to make this a vegan spinach stew. Always season the dish well to bring the full flavours out!