A great dish for vegetarians and vegans alike. It combines palm oil, spinach and egusi (melon) seeds to make an interesting sauce unique to West Africa.
It's also fairly straightforward to make and our delicious ready made Egusi Sauce cuts down preparation and cooking time giving you the space to get other things done.
This recipe serves 3-4 people.
1 Jar of Egusi stew sauce
2 Tablespoons unrefined red palm oil (or any cooking oil, the Egusi sauce is cooked in palm oil already)
1 Medium onion chopped finely
1 Vegetable stock cube
2 Tablespoons of ground egusi seeds (you can buy these from any African food store)
250g Frozen or fresh spinach
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons ground egusi seeds to make a paste and set aside
- Heat the oil and fry the onions till soft. Add the stock cube and fry for a few seconds till dissolved.
- Next pour in the Egusi Sauce and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add spoonfuls of egusi paste to the simmering sauce and leave to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add in the spinach and leave to cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Season stew with salt and pepper and serve with fufu, rice, boiled yam or plantain.