If there is a dish that represents me (Racquel), then this will be it. Being Southern African, I grew up on spicy boerewors sausages and tried it once with jollof rice, I never looked back.
I think the flavour from the sausage and the jollof rice make this combination the bomb! It would be a good one for those summer braais with a great salad on the side.
1 jar of Jollof sauce
500g long grain/easy cook rice
1 teaspoon curry blend
1 small chopped onion
1-2 cups chicken/veg stock
1 kg farm style Boerewors sausages (I buy mine from here)
4 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt and Pepper
Also add ingredients for your favourite salad
- Measure and wash the rice and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a medium sized pot and fry the chopped onion until soft. Add in the curry blend and stir for a minute.
- Next, add the Jollof Sauce and gently simmer for 2-5 minutes. Mix in the washed rice and slowly pour in the stock or water. You will need to cover the rice by about 2cm of liquid.
- Cover the saucepan with aluminium foil followed by the lid. Bring the rice to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to cook for about 15 minutes. You will need to mix the rice and sauce using a fork half way through.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (or fire up the barbeque), lightly coat the sausage with the remaining cooking oil and place in a baking dish large enough to accommodate the Boerewors expanding as they cook. Cook for approximately 10 minutes on each side.
- Check the rice, if soft and fluffy, switch off the heat and set aside.
- Next, prep your favourite salad.
- Once the sausages are ready, leave them to rest a couple of minutes (allowing the juices to redistribute), then serve hot with the Jollof Rice and a side of salad.
*Tip - Mix in the Boerewors oil and juices from the roasting tin into your cooked Jollof Rice for an amazing depth of flavour!