Packed with nutritious goodness, this wholesome stew will satisfy those tastebuds and put the bounce back into your step! Sure to become a firm family favourite, this tasty stew gives new meaning to healthy eating.
This recipe serves 2-4 people.
1 jar of Jollof sauce
1Kg of oxtail
1 400g Butter beans
1 Small onion chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Teaspoon curry blend (or a meat seasoning blend of your choice)
- Boil the oxtail for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker (or a normal saucepan for about 40 minutes) with a little salt and enough water to cover it.
- Reserve the stock and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a saucepan and brown the meat well to bring out its flavour.
- Next, add the onions to the meat and fry until they are soft.
- Mix in the seasoning and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Empty into the pan the jar of Jollof Sauce and the reserved stock.
- Leave to cook until the sauce has thickened and the oxtail meat is tender.
- Add more water if the meat needs to be left cook longer.
- Rinse the butter beans from the tin in a sieve under cold running water.
- Add to the sauce and leave to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice/potatoes (or any other starch of your choice) and a side of cooked greens.
*Tip 1 - Scoop and save in a sterilized jar any excess oil from the surface of the Oxtail Stew. Adding this oil to hot cooked jollof rice will add tonnes of meaty flavour!
*Tip 2 - If you know a good butchers (like my own), ask them to cut the oxtail to even sized pieces so that they cook evenly.